Join Our Team
JOIN OUR TEAM
At Outback Initiatives, we are always seeking good talent who will love our work as much as we do!
We are looking for the right people to work with us – and if you’re interested, here’s the pre-requisites:
- Must love the outdoors (you’ll be in it a lot – rain or shine);
- Must have heaps of life experience (over 40? great);
- Must have a high EQ and be good with people (need to be able to smile when you’ve had little sleep);
- Must be authentic, be comfortable in your shoes, own your failings, know who you are;
- Must be physically robust (no need to be super fit, just need to be able to handle discomfort and work long hours (while smiling));
- Must have low ego – important that you’re not the CENTRE of the team – it’s not about you, it’s about the participants;
- Must be able to work well in an ever-changing team – we’ll storm/form/norm and perform in our own team so you’ll need to be able to speak the truth, handle conflict (not bury it) and work towards the common goal. You’ll be asked to help out when and where you can, everything from your contracted role, to cleaning up, making coffee for weary team mates and designing as we go;
- Must be flexible – for various reasons our time table changes and this can’t be helped. If you’re someone who finds it difficult to change a plan, then you’ll struggle. You need to be able to adapt to changing circumstances as we adapt the pace and schedule to our client’s specific needs as we go;
- You are professional and you are PASSIONATE about providing outstanding learning opportunities for our clients;
- Must still be able to smile after all that.
Yes, there’s a long list of prerequisites… but this is not an easy job and it’s not for everyone. Yes, it’s fun, it’s exciting, it’s not ‘the norm’…. however it’s also challenging and sometimes it’s hard when you’ve not slept much and you’re about to be dropped into a cave at 5am in the morning or kayak 20 kms in the rain ….
That’s why only approximately 1 in 30 people make it through our stringent training. We want to make sure that you’re in the right place doing the role that’s right for you. And when your team is under pressure (as it will be) you’ll be grateful that the people you’re working with have gone through that training.
There are various roles within our organisation and it’s important for you to find one that suits you:
- Program Facilitators: Experienced with facilitating groups (24pax) in the area of leadership and team development; must have leadership experience; strong EQ; physically fit for either short (3-4 days) or long (7-12 days) programs; mental health and first aid trained;
- Gurkha Instructors: Highly experienced in the outdoors, excellent people skills, robust, must be physically fit (23 days); wilderness first aid qualified;
- Organisational Consultants: Experienced in assessment, strategy, design, and solution implementation in a specific field in human behaviour or organisational development; has delivered workshops and training to corporate and government clients in various industries;
- Technicians: Licensed and certified to train and guide groups for rock-climbing, abseiling, kayaking and caving (daily rate); first aid qualified;
- Support: Provide logistics and manpower support on-site (daily rate); first aid qualified.
We also provide outdoor leadership and adventure skills training through open enrolment programs. We would highly encourage you to participate in one of our programs to get a taste of what we do!
In order to attend our Outdoor Facilitator Training program, you must have already completed an Outback Initiatives experiential leadership or team development program. This will give you a thorough understanding of the process from a participant’s point of view.
Check out our Upcoming Programs.
“Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven’t found it yet, keep looking and don’t settle. As with all matters of the heart, you’ll know when you find it” – Steve Jobs
The program is based upon a tried and proven methodologyRead More
This multi-layered experience has been the best investment of my timeRead More
It was the best leadership program experience I've ever hadRead More
It illuminated my understanding of our different behaviours and how I come across to othersRead More
I wholeheartedly recommend this program to ALL womenRead More
I expanded my knowledge and awareness of myselfRead More
I loved this experience and am a massive supporterRead More
I will be telling others that this is the best, most effective use of a short periodRead More
Thank you for taking on and succeeding so well with the Leadership Training ProgramRead More
We have been struck by their sponanteous comments such as 'that was life changing'Read More